Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Point Reyes Lighthouse

PRL01

As my final post of the year I thought I would make a push to finish editing the photos from my trip with Grams and my Aunt to Inverness and the Pt. Reyes lighthouse which as you will all soon see is quite a beauty. I might also add that it is not exactly easy to get to and from and you may not want to take your own Grandma on such a trek. 300+ steps plus several ramping sidewalks in between those steps along with the blustery Northern California weather make it a bit of a journey. But if you are able I definitely think it's worth it.

I'll leave it wordless from here on out except for a few highlights.

-those incredible orange patches on the rock that make you feel as if you are in some alien landscape are algae and contrary to their actual color are classfied as a green algae called Trentepohlia.

-In the 1906 earthquake the Pt. Reyes lighthouse moved 18 feet in one minute and was only without service for 13 min,

- It was built in 1870 and was retired in 1975.

I wish I had gotten to see and do so much more on this trip but I guess that means I'll just have to go back.

PRL02 PRL03 PRL04 PRL05 PRL06 PRL07 PRL08 PRL09 PRL10 PRL11 PRL12 PRL13 PRL14 PRL15

No comments:

Some other things you might want to know

Unless otherwise noted, all work © Kelly Waters.
If you re-blog my photos or work, please do link back to me.

I try my best to always link back to designers, artists, photographers, chefs, architects, funny people, Misters, supermodels, textile dj industrialists or whomever catches my eye and I end up posting about here but if for some reason you aren't happy with the recognition please say so and I will banish you, um er, remove the post immediately.