Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Peter Greenaway + 26 Bathrooms

Video streaming by Ustream
A recent interview (that I can hopefully share with you soon) led me to the small film 26 Bathrooms. As a fan of Peter Greenaway (The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and Her Lover & The Pillow book being my faves) I was surprised I hadn't heard of this short film. Thank goodness I could actually find it. Online no less. Just one warning it was filmed in the eighties but the principles are timeless. 

If you are remodeling your bath or your entire home for that matter this is an interesting look at the multiple functions a room serves. I think it's incredibly useful to take a different viewpoint since the perspective most often used when working on residential spaces are shaped by developers/builders and real estate agents who place a huge importance on the number of bedrooms and bathrooms often to the detriment of the rest of the space. I personally would urge more people to design for their own needs after all it's your personal space that you come home to everyday as a respite from the rest of the world shouldn't it function for you instead of being determined by resale value? 

No comments:

Some other things you might want to know

Unless otherwise noted, all work © Kelly Waters.
If you re-blog my photos or work, please do link back to me.

I try my best to always link back to designers, artists, photographers, chefs, architects, funny people, Misters, supermodels, textile dj industrialists or whomever catches my eye and I end up posting about here but if for some reason you aren't happy with the recognition please say so and I will banish you, um er, remove the post immediately.