Thursday, August 9, 2012

Placewares in Gualala

PW01 PW02I took a day trip north to Sea Ranch for the day on Tuesday to see one of my old professors just finished houses. A dream house if I've ever seen one AND I can't share it with you (I know, I know) as they want to submit it to a few high-brow fancy architecture magazines and I think they have a pretty good chance of getting in so I'll be keeping hush hush for now.

But while I was in this magical place sharing the day with my professor I learned about a little design shop  just north of Sea Ranch in Gualala. A little shop called Placewares with a BIG history. It was unfortunately closed so I could only peek in the windows but I did a little research and it turns out an old friend Andrew Wagner did a little interview with Maynard and Lu Lyndon in Dwell a few years back. So I'll be sending you over there to read it. But it makes me so happy to know this magical little enclave has a little design shop just around the bend. Literally around the bend this is US1 afterall.

All photography by Todd Hido via Dwell

3 comments:

silvia said...

wow, that's awesome! i'll have to check it out sometime.

Andrew Wagner said...

Bummed it was closed : ( it's fantastic and Maynard and Lu are the coolest ever! It's a good excuse to go back...SOON!

Kelly said...

Thanks Andrew, I really wanted to chat with them regardless of what was in the shop. But you can bet I'll be back soon enough.

And yes Silvia! you must come up with me next time.

Some other things you might want to know

Unless otherwise noted, all work © Kelly Waters.
If you re-blog my photos or work, please do link back to me.

I try my best to always link back to designers, artists, photographers, chefs, architects, funny people, Misters, supermodels, textile dj industrialists or whomever catches my eye and I end up posting about here but if for some reason you aren't happy with the recognition please say so and I will banish you, um er, remove the post immediately.