Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Melancholia


I'm dying to see this film. Have any of you seen it yet? Lars von Trier said something to the effect that Justine, Kirsten Dunst's character,  suffers from a melancholy and it's very much a tribute to his own depression. I find this infinitely interesting as I've suffered from it myself on and off through the years (My Grandmother always asks me if "I'm happy" and I find this such an inane question. There seems to be more to life than happiness. No?) and I somehow can find comfort in something like disappearing into the sea on a moonlit night. Don't worry, I'm not going to walk down to the ocean on the next full moon but I do understand her solace at the end of the world in some very strange way. 

By the way the website for the film is really beautifully put together. Have a look.


7 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh yes, you must see it. I loved it, felt it was very true to the odd ways people behave and feel about one another.

THE BRICK HOUSE said...

saw this recently while deeply settled into a long stretch of the gloom. found it brutal and beautiful and strangely affirming - sort of familiar in a way that was comforting and terrifying? i loved it, but i think it can be tough one for folks.

Kelly said...

Oooh love to hear that. I'm going to have to make time sometime next week.

JLR22 said...

Kirsten Dunst suffered from depression and I think it was one of the reasons she was chosen to play this part. Really want to see this film.

Eve Cege said...

Oh I don´t like it at all,the photography is beautiful,but...

Kelly said...

Oh Eve, I hear you. It can be a dark topic to handle.

And JLR, I didn't know that I've always loved Kirsten because she just seems like a real person to me and not just an actress.

a m o u r e t t e said...

This looks so interesting!

Some other things you might want to know

Unless otherwise noted, all work © Kelly Waters.
If you re-blog my photos or work, please do link back to me.

I try my best to always link back to designers, artists, photographers, chefs, architects, funny people, Misters, supermodels, textile dj industrialists or whomever catches my eye and I end up posting about here but if for some reason you aren't happy with the recognition please say so and I will banish you, um er, remove the post immediately.