Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mendes-Hirth: Guest Post Jorge Soares

Did you miss me? I missed you and Jorge. Aw well, you'll just have to realize I will be here as often as I can until I have a regular schedule. I hope you enjoy the delightful Mendes-Hirth visit as much as I did.

MH01
MH02
MH03

Fernando Mendes and Roberto Hirth are both industrial designers and members of families dedicated to design. Laubisch Hirth was a prestigious furniture manufacturer where Joaquim Tenreiro began his career. Do you not know who Tenreiro was?  He pretty much started the new Brazilian modern furniture design and his pieces now go from one collector hands to another´s for quite a nice chunk of money. 
Fernando Mendes is also an architect and a young cousin of living legend Sergio Rodrigues. I think these guys were raised amid sawdust and got a taste for it. 

Their workshop is in the old factory district of Benfica, close to the Flower Market, actually. There they create and manufacture their line, do lovely commission work, repair some beaten up classics and recreate some of Sergio Rodrigues beauties. Fernando was kind enough to let me wander around half finished work and gawk at old woodworking machines, probably family heirlooms. I got my taste of sawdust and I liked it.


*All photos and content by Jorge Soares

2 comments:

FRAGMENTOS URBANOS said...

Congrats for this post about brasilian designers.

http://robertopujol.blogspot.com/

Kelly said...

Ahh thanks, Roberto. I do have a thing for Brazilian designers and lucky for me my dear friend Jorge indulges me.

Some other things you might want to know

Unless otherwise noted, all work © Kelly Waters.
If you re-blog my photos or work, please do link back to me.

I try my best to always link back to designers, artists, photographers, chefs, architects, funny people, Misters, supermodels, textile dj industrialists or whomever catches my eye and I end up posting about here but if for some reason you aren't happy with the recognition please say so and I will banish you, um er, remove the post immediately.