Thursday, December 23, 2010

Resolutions vs. Manifesto

I'm not one for resolutions as they don't really seem to work do they? But a manifesto or your own set of guidelines that keep you moving in the forward direction... now that I can get behind. I just need to find a creative way to display them so that I read them on a daily basis. Any thoughts on that one? 

Here are some of my favorites from Bruce Mau's Incomplete Manifesto...


3. Process is more important than outcome.
When the outcome drives the process we will only ever go to where we've already been. If process drives outcome we may not know where we’re going, but we will know we want to
be there.


6. Capture accidents.
The wrong answer is the right answer in search of a different question. Collect wrong answers as part of the process. Ask different questions.


8. Drift.
Allow yourself to wander aimlessly. Explore adjacencies. Lack judgment. Postpone criticism.

9. Begin anywhere.
John Cage tells us that not knowing where to begin is a common form of paralysis. His advice: begin anywhere.



16. Collaborate.
The space between people working together is filled with conflict, friction, strife, exhilaration, delight, and vast creative potential.



24. Avoid software.
The problem with software is that everyone has it.

25. Don’t clean your desk.
You might find something in the morning that you can’t see tonight.

26. Don’t enter awards competitions.
Just don’t. It’s not good for you.


28. Make new words.
Expand the lexicon. The new conditions demand a new way of thinking. The thinking demands new forms of expression. The expression generates new conditions.

29. Think with your mind.

Forget technology. Creativity is not device-dependent.


33. Take field trips.
The bandwidth of the world is greater than that of your TV set, or the Internet, or even a totally immersive, interactive, dynamically rendered, object-oriented, real-time, computer graphic–simulated environment. 
(HA!)


37. Break it, stretch it, bend it, crush it, crack it, fold it.

And my favorite... 

40. Avoid fields.
Jump fences. Disciplinary boundaries and regulatory regimes are attempts to control the wilding of creative life. They are often understandable efforts to order what are manifold, complex, evolutionary processes. Our job is to jump the fences and cross the fields.



You can read the rest of them here. By the way has anyone used Cargo and if so do you like it? How does it compare to Indexhibit or Squarespace?

And I'm out until the New Year. Happy Holidays everyone. xox

**I have no idea where I got that photo I just love that there was an enormous cloud over the living room. I'm really into clouds right now. And yes I know that sounds silly.

1 comment:

Leilani said...

I love these, Ms. K. If I can strive for even half of these tenets in the New Year, I shall expect wonderful things, I think. Might repost. Keep an eye on my blog. xoxo

Some other things you might want to know

Unless otherwise noted, all work © Kelly Waters.
If you re-blog my photos or work, please do link back to me.

I try my best to always link back to designers, artists, photographers, chefs, architects, funny people, Misters, supermodels, textile dj industrialists or whomever catches my eye and I end up posting about here but if for some reason you aren't happy with the recognition please say so and I will banish you, um er, remove the post immediately.