Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Crossing Mediums

AL01
AL02
AL03
AL04
AL05
AL06

If you are desperately seeking a last minute gift for a designer friend of yours may I suggest this book. Alvin Lustig is such an inspiration especially for his ability to cross so many mediums of design. From graphics, to furniture, to textiles, lighting, and interiors he really seemed to conquer it all bringing meaning to the phrase...a designer is a designer is a designer. 

"The words 'graphic designer,' 'architect,' or 'industrial designer' stick in my throat giving me a sense of limitation, of specialization within the specialty, or a relationship to society that is unsatisfactory and incomplete, This inadequate set of terms to describe an active life reveals only partially the still undefined nature of a designer."

I know exactly how he feels. I feel that way nearly every time someone asks me what I do. I hope I'm able to combat with the same rigor not being pigeonholed. 

architect - I went to school for architecture and it is what I have been actively practicing since.
illustrator - I've done some works but it would be great to expand on this, and perhaps in more commercial work.
textile/pattern designer - This will come with the expansion of the illustration work.
furniture designer - I'm working on figuring out how to make this a possibility. I've done a few pieces within the work procured from larger architectural projects but it would be really great to have a coherent collection.

Forging ahead. 



No comments:

Some other things you might want to know

Unless otherwise noted, all work © Kelly Waters.
If you re-blog my photos or work, please do link back to me.

I try my best to always link back to designers, artists, photographers, chefs, architects, funny people, Misters, supermodels, textile dj industrialists or whomever catches my eye and I end up posting about here but if for some reason you aren't happy with the recognition please say so and I will banish you, um er, remove the post immediately.