Wednesday, November 3, 2010

How to explain it to my parents...


How to explain it to my parents - Arno Coenen from Lernert & Sander on Vimeo.

How to explain it to my parents - Harm van den Dorpel from Lernert & Sander on Vimeo.

How to explain it to my parents - Martin C de Waal from Lernert & Sander on Vimeo.

Work in a creative field? Your parents don't. Have you ever tried to explain your work? Do you think it would be pointless or self inflicted torture. These short films by Lernert & Sander take some patience as they are in Dutch but are really quite interesting to watch.


I heard recently on Terry Gross' Fresh Air a writer explain... "You know our parents just wanted jobs, and we, we all want to be artists!" (Approximately)


It hits home doesn't it. Sometimes I think why can't I just have a "job" and be happy. There's something in me that strives for that something more. Is it generational? Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Happenstance said...

This is great! My husband and I can totally relate to this since we both worked (he still does) in the skateboard industry. Try explaining making a living in skateboarding to not only parents but any family member really!

I do think it's generational. Our parents and the generation before them were so conditioned to go to college, find a job in degreed field and retire there. Plain and simple. Can you imagine? That's over 30 years of their lives planned out for them!

Now, here we are the generation of post MTV, reality television and the internet. Anybody can do anything at anytime.

Celia said...

my parents have definitely "lost" when it comes to my sister and i. at least my brother ended up doing it "right". ;)

Some other things you might want to know

Unless otherwise noted, all work © Kelly Waters.
If you re-blog my photos or work, please do link back to me.

I try my best to always link back to designers, artists, photographers, chefs, architects, funny people, Misters, supermodels, textile dj industrialists or whomever catches my eye and I end up posting about here but if for some reason you aren't happy with the recognition please say so and I will banish you, um er, remove the post immediately.