Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Keepin your noggin safe but stylish

helmet


Hello, I've been mad busy playing catch-up today. Whew, who knew being gone just a few days could put you behind like this. While I was away in Los Angeles, la la, City of Angels, I was intent on visiting a few places in addition to my professional reasons for being there.  The Neutra VDL house to take a few snaps to share with you all and perhaps begin a new sketch project. They have been in need of some help and since my alma mater owns the beloved Neutra residence I thought I could put a bit of a spotlight on it. That visit didn't work out so well as they were closed this weekend unexpectedly. I guess it will have to be my next visit. 

The Bradbury building as it is a bit embarrassing that I have yet to visit it. And upon arrival they were closed for filming. (strike two) But this time I decided to ignore the rules and trespass regardless until they threw me out. It ended up being not such a bad visit except all their lighting tools were in the way of my photo taking, but hey I didn't get kicked out. 


And Bottega Louie, a new spot downtown that with a few years of wear will certainly look like a classic. This was a score but it was filled to the gills and a bit difficult to capture, but I'll share what I can later this week.


And then a little shopping of course, or in my case, window shopping. I wanted to check out the new places on Abbot Kinney and a few in Silverlake including Mohawk General Store. I never did make it to the West Side in time but I did make it to Mohawk and I'll share that with you later this week. Above is a post from their blog, that I was perusing a bit while trying to look up their location. And I couldn't agree more with the plea of this article as the helmet is my most loathed (but needed) bicycle accessory. After all, I (most) don't live in fairytale land, where they have Very Separate and safe bike lanes. By the way I might also mention that except for Venice that I didn't see much bicycle riding in Los Angeles... and while it is vast I could definitely see it being a mode of transport in the neighborhood, especially the flatlands of Hollywood. So What up LA? And don't give me some silly excuse like you have hills down there.

4 comments:

Bianca said...

this is gorgeous.

DeedleDee said...

did you make that helmet cover? Or where could I find one like it? its fantastic!

DeedleDee said...

where can I find a helmet like yours? or did you make it? thanks!

Kelly said...

Oh no, I found it at Mohawk General Store in Los Angeles. It was awhile ago though so I would contact them and ask them what they know about it. I don't think they had the helmet but they did represent the artist that made it.

Some other things you might want to know

Unless otherwise noted, all work © Kelly Waters.
If you re-blog my photos or work, please do link back to me.

I try my best to always link back to designers, artists, photographers, chefs, architects, funny people, Misters, supermodels, textile dj industrialists or whomever catches my eye and I end up posting about here but if for some reason you aren't happy with the recognition please say so and I will banish you, um er, remove the post immediately.