Monday, October 4, 2010

Extended (home) tour to the airport.

PSM01

You thought I was done with Palm Springs didn't you. Okay this is the last one. I came across this map when doing my research for our trip. It costs a few bucks and it goes towards a good cause. You can purchase one here or if you are driving in from Los Angeles you can pick one up at the Tramway Gas Station (directly below) it's the first building you see as you drive into Palm Springs. Apparently there is also guided tour you can take that comes highly recommended and I may go on it next time around but I sometimes get a bit antsy and impatient so the map was the best option for me. It also allowed me to pick and choose which sites I wanted to visit and leave out the ones I was less interested in. So once we had the car packed and ready for the airport we pulled out our map and made our list.


PSM02
PSM03

The Tramway Gas Station by Albert Frey. I was also a bit smitten with all of the desert plants and stunning landscaping on all the properties. It is such a change in scenery from Northern California and so sculptural.

PSM04

Edris House by E. Stewart Williams

PSM05

All you could see of the Raymond Loewy House by Albert Frey.

PSM06

Shapiro House by Michael Black

PSM07


The House of Tomorrow by William Krisel, also known as the Elvis Honeymoon Hideaway. Krisel is also a talented illustrator.

PSM08

Coachella Valley Savings and Loan by E. Stewart Williams. Hmmm looks familiar, a little like this, or this, or this, no?

PSM09
PSM10

The Kaufman House by Richard Neutra. I was so happy to see that it was so well taken care of. And the landscaping surrounding the house was exquisite.

PSM11

And finally the Grace Miller House also by Neutra. It looks to be under some renovation which is always nice to see. The darling Bride and Groom put books in everyone's welcome bags and mine had a book about the relationship between Neutra and Miller while the house was being designed and built. Can you believe them?! They really went over the top.

1 comment:

silvia said...

I didn't realize the Tramway Gas Station was by Frey. I've seen it a few times, it's visually striking, but never stopped to consider it was designed by an architect. HA! :)

Some other things you might want to know

Unless otherwise noted, all work © Kelly Waters.
If you re-blog my photos or work, please do link back to me.

I try my best to always link back to designers, artists, photographers, chefs, architects, funny people, Misters, supermodels, textile dj industrialists or whomever catches my eye and I end up posting about here but if for some reason you aren't happy with the recognition please say so and I will banish you, um er, remove the post immediately.