Thursday, August 19, 2010

Sazerac Á La Playboy

Saz01
Saz02

For my belated Mad men inspired post I thought a cocktail was in order. What with Don throwing them back at an ever fast and furious rate.


Not to mention that this city just keeps taking this cocktail making business to an ever serious note. I have to say it is nice to order a classic and not have the bartender just throw it together with what they think belongs in a Negroni for example.


Another favorite that the Mister makes from time to time is the Sazerac and not just any Sazerac but the 1970's Playboy New Orleans club Sazerac. Here's how you do it...


1/4 teaspoon Pernod (we use Absinthe, since it's now readily available most anywhere)
1 small sugar cube
2 dashes Peychaud's bitters
1 dash Angostura bitters
1 1/2 oz. Straight Rye
Lemon Peel

Pour Pernod (Absinthe) into pre-chilled  old-fashioned glass and roll glass until inside is entirely coated. Add sugar both kinds of bitters and enough cold water to barely cover the sugar. Muddle until sugar is completely dissolved. Add whiskey and large ice cube. Stir well. Twist lemon peel above drink and drop into glass. Created by George Crouchette, head bartender at the New Orleans Playboy Club.

6 comments:

Kate said...

Whoa, that book sounds amazing!

silvia said...

sounds delicious, i hope my liver can handle a cocktail like that. :)

Celia said...

i'm not bitter at all...

Lindsay said...

Holy cow. I grew up with that book in the house. FLASHBACK!

K said...

@ Kate
Yep, It is. It's graphically layed out beautifully and there are some great photographs and illustrations in there as well. I would do a search on Ebay. I'm sure it's under the radar.

Sorry Celia :(

And Lindsay you had this book n your house?!

K said...

And Silvia... they are small, you'll be fine ;)

Some other things you might want to know

Unless otherwise noted, all work © Kelly Waters.
If you re-blog my photos or work, please do link back to me.

I try my best to always link back to designers, artists, photographers, chefs, architects, funny people, Misters, supermodels, textile dj industrialists or whomever catches my eye and I end up posting about here but if for some reason you aren't happy with the recognition please say so and I will banish you, um er, remove the post immediately.