Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Salton Sea

SS01
SS


I was doing some research for a trip coming up for a friends wedding in Palm Springs and I came across the Salton Sea via Albert Frey's work. He originally designed that Yacht club in the top photo. It's quite funny to come across a yacht club in the middle of the desert no? 

I've always been fascinated with the sea since the time I was required to visit it back in school. We had a project on site there. I have a few mementos from that trip and it pains me that I'll be so close and not be able to visit. Ah well... c'est la vie. 

I also recently watched Plagues and Pleasures a documentary that gives you an overview of the real story of the sea, and magnificently it's narrated by John Waters. (I've always secretly wished he was my uncle) I highly recommend putting this one in your netflx queue, that is if you enjoy quirky, mysterious and storied sad places.  

Do you have any Salton Sea stories?

No comments:

Some other things you might want to know

Unless otherwise noted, all work © Kelly Waters.
If you re-blog my photos or work, please do link back to me.

I try my best to always link back to designers, artists, photographers, chefs, architects, funny people, Misters, supermodels, textile dj industrialists or whomever catches my eye and I end up posting about here but if for some reason you aren't happy with the recognition please say so and I will banish you, um er, remove the post immediately.