Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Outerlands



If you remember awhile back I introduced you to the lovely General Store. Well, on that particularly typical San Francisco day (the air was very heavy, misty, and cool) I walked right by Outerlands and I've been dying to share it with you ever since. (So, please forgive me for the delay.) There is a particular warmth and loveliness to it that exists in a particular time and space. It reminds me of when I first moved to this city and everyday here was still magical to me. Outerlands could only exist where the sea becomes the air, holds you for awhile, and returns to the sea.


I asked Lana Porcello how it came to be, for I had a sneaking suspicion that it was pulled together of their own accord. I'm always interested in the process of how spaces are created since I know the process is anything but straight forward and requires the help of many. I'm also interested in the juxtaposition of spaces that are truly designed by their owner/creators or designers/architects. As an example of the former, I hope you enjoy their story as much as I did.


"My husband, David Muller, and I designed the space, and had assistance from many friends putting it together...here are some of the people who helped: 

The wood concept on the walls, which was done with salvaged fence boards, was created by Keith Aderholdt

The chairs were built by Hogan Kania, a 20 year old craftsman who used recycled barnwood from his hometown of Marin. 

The rounded counter and benches were built by a family friend, Eric Roberts, who is also a master luthier and guitar player. 

David and I collected materials and worked on construction slowly over the course of a year, during which we had time to collect bits of driftwood here and there at OB and along the coast from Monterey to Bodega Bay. When we finally had enough, David put it together in the patterns on the front counter and over the loft. It was all a wonderful adventure in finding materials and thinking about how we could incorporate them, and the result was an almost 100% salvaged interior! It was also, as I said, the work of many other helping hands who donated time, skills, and ideas to the process."


all photography by Eric Wolfinger

2 comments:

jamie said...

really, really nice.

ashley said...

this place is gorgeous and thinking I definitely need to check it out on my next visit! and ocean beach is my favorite!
xox

Some other things you might want to know

Unless otherwise noted, all work © Kelly Waters.
If you re-blog my photos or work, please do link back to me.

I try my best to always link back to designers, artists, photographers, chefs, architects, funny people, Misters, supermodels, textile dj industrialists or whomever catches my eye and I end up posting about here but if for some reason you aren't happy with the recognition please say so and I will banish you, um er, remove the post immediately.