Sunday, June 22, 2008

Retail Therapy

































































































































I may not be able to afford to purchase anything besides perhaps an accessory of little use in these shops but I just couldn't miss checking out their delicious spaces.


1st
the entrance to comme des garcon an impressive moncoque structure by future systems leads you through... too bad the employees make you feel like a bum that just walked in off the street. Ugh if you are going to follow my every move could you at least say hi and be friendly?

2nd
new super minimalist outpost of Yohji Yamamoto in NYC by Junya Ishigami Ahh super friendly in here in fact I could peruse all day the pieces of hanging art they are calling clothes.

3rd
Just a gorgeous door we walked by in SoHo that I had to take a snap of.

4th
Ahh this gritty but lovely space was the conception of the same designer as the clothing that inhabits. Its right down the street from Yohji Yamamoto and down a flight of stairs which is where I came across this ingenious light fixture. mmmm so delightful and simple. I wish I could remember the name of the designer. Does anyone know?

UPDATE: Here is the space.... I mentioned directly above and it wasn't as I was informed designed by the clothing designer...

Marc Dizon, Principal Partner of ORB, the Manhattan based architecture, interiors, and design group has designed the Buckler meanswear flagship store, located in New York City's fashionable Meatpacking District.
Dizon, one of New York's hottest emerging designers, specializes in the creation of avant-garde retail, restaurant, and hotel space.
"We wanted to be in the Meatpacking District and we wanted to be underground, so that's what we did, literally," said Dizon.
The 3,000 square feet subterranean retail space, located in a former copper smelting factory, features design elements inspired by the installations of British artist Damien Hirst.

Exposed wood beams run the length of the room with cast iron and wood columns supporting the ceiling and white porcelain walls.
Full height glass walls separate the showroom and the office from the retail space.
"When lit from behind, the glass transforms into a dreamlike reflection of carved, vaulted spaces, but when lit from the front, the glass takes on a mirror effect showing a ghosted trace of the spaces beyond.



I also got a chance to stop by the following and recommend taking a peek.

Alexander Mcqueen by London architect William Russell
Stella McCartney by Universal Design Studio
Ted Meuhling

No comments:

Some other things you might want to know

Unless otherwise noted, all work © Kelly Waters.
If you re-blog my photos or work, please do link back to me.

I try my best to always link back to designers, artists, photographers, chefs, architects, funny people, Misters, supermodels, textile dj industrialists or whomever catches my eye and I end up posting about here but if for some reason you aren't happy with the recognition please say so and I will banish you, um er, remove the post immediately.